Botanical Garden of Cluj-Napoca
The Botanical Garden of Cluj is a scientific institution, under the authority of Babeş-Bolyai University. It was founded by Professor Alexandru Borza in 1920. Covering an area of 14 ha, with a varied configuration, it is suitable for plant growth and development, here being planted about 10,000 species.
The Botanical Garden is divided into several sections: ornamental, phytogeographic, systematic, economic and medicinal.
The plants variety is impressive. For example, during summer, the ornamental sector includes around 350 varieties of roses, and the species and varieties of garden flowers known and cultivated all over the world as decorative plants.
Every continent is represented here, one of the most beautiful landscapes being the Japanese Garden. Of course, the flora of our country is predominant: Romanian plain, Transylvanian plateau, vegetation of Carpathians, from Banat, Moldavia, Oltenia and Black Sea.
A special attraction is the Roman garden, known as Pliny’s garden (Grădina lui Pliniu), dominated by the statue of Goddess Ceres and surrounded by two real coffins discovered in the old Roman city Napoca. Here can be found plants that were cultivated in Roman cities.
The greenhouses with tropical plants and the economic sector, grouping plants according to their use, complete the diverse landscape. There are also the Botanical Museum and the Herbarium (it contains 655,000 pages with great scientific value, always available to students and researchers from Romania and abroad).
Annually , the Botanical Garden “Alexandru Borza ” exchanges plant material with over 400 similar institutions from all continents .
Botanical Garden of Cluj- Napoca is a member of several industry association: Association of Botanical Gardens from Romania, Planta Europa and many more. The location of this impressive garden is 42 Republicii Street, Cluj-Napoca, Napoca county.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.